New York legalized sports betting in 2022, and since then, there have been a number of online sportsbook apps that have launched in the state.
Here are the top five legal online sportsbook apps in New York in 2023:
- Caesars Sportsbook
Caesars Sportsbook is the most popular online sportsbook in New York. It offers a wide variety of betting options, competitive odds, and a generous welcome bonus. Caesars also has a great reputation for customer service.
- FanDuel Sportsbook
FanDuel Sportsbook is another top-rated online sportsbook in New York. It offers a user-friendly interface, a variety of betting options, and a generous welcome bonus. FanDuel also has a reputation for quick payouts.
- DraftKings Sportsbook
DraftKings Sportsbook is a well-established online sportsbook that offers a variety of betting options, competitive odds, and a generous welcome bonus. DraftKings also has a reputation for offering innovative features, such as its live betting product.
BetMGM is a well-known online sportsbook that offers a variety of betting options, competitive odds, and a generous welcome bonus. BetMGM also has a reputation for offering a wide variety of promotions and rewards.
BetRivers is a relatively new online sportsbook, but it has quickly become one of the most popular in New York. It offers a variety of betting options, competitive odds, and a generous welcome bonus. BetRivers also has a reputation for offering a user-friendly interface and excellent customer service.
These are just a few of the top legal online sportsbook apps in New York in 2023. When choosing an online sportsbook, it is important to consider factors such as the betting options offered, the odds, the welcome bonus, and the customer service reputation.
NY Sports Betting: Top Platforms & Bonuses
|BetMGM NY Sportsbook||Earn $50 Bonus with Code: NYDOTBET|
|BetRivers NY Sportsbook App||Get up to $100 Bonus Match|
|Caesars NY Sportsbook||up to $1,250 Free Bet|
|PointsBet NY Sportsbook||2x Daily Booster Tokens|
|WynnBET NY Sportsbook||Bet $100 Win Tickets|
New York Online Sports Betting FAQs
Is online sports betting legal in New York?
Yes, online sports betting is legal in New York. The New York State Gaming Commission (NYSGC) began accepting applications for online sports betting licenses in 2021, and the first nine sportsbooks went live in January 2022.
What are the age restrictions for online sports betting in New York?
You must be 21 years of age or older to bet on sports online in New York. The NYSGC uses geolocation technology to verify the age of bettors.
What sports can I bet on online in New York?
You can bet on a wide variety of sports online in New York, including:
- Professional sports: NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, and college basketball
- College football: All FBS and FCS games
- International sports: Soccer, cricket, rugby, and more
- Esports: League of Legends, Dota 2, and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
What are the odds like for online sports betting in New York?
The odds for online sports betting in New York are generally competitive with other states. However, it is important to shop around and compare odds before placing a bet.
How do I get started with online sports betting in New York?
To get started with online sports betting in New York, you will need to create an account with a licensed sportsbook. Once you have created an account, you will need to deposit funds into your account. You can then start placing bets on your favorite sports teams and events.
Do I pay tax when betting in New York?
When wagering in New York, participants are liable for a tax rate of 12% for winnings on a sports bet. However, winnings over $5,000 are subject to 24% of federal tax, along with earnings that are 300 times your original stake.
Licensed Sportsbooks also contribute to the state budget with a 51 % tax on profit from bets, as well as a $200 million onetime fee to the state.
As of August 2023, there are 9 legal betting apps in New York:
- Caesars Sportsbook
- FanDuel Sportsbook
- DraftKings Sportsbook
- Resorts World Bet
For horseracing, there are more options with TVG, AmWager and NyraBet offering online horse betting.
- DraftKings – They provide an easy-to-navigate app that allows users to bet on a variety of racing markets. Available for both iOS and Android users.
- PointsBet app – Offer new customers a free bet up to $500 (5x $100) after joining their service.
- Caesars Sportsbook – Match 100% of your initial deposit up to $1250 after signing-up to the operator.
- Fanduel – The sports betting provider offers a generous welcome bonus of $1000 (bet insurance) for the first wager with them.
- Nyrabets – One of the leaders in horse racing wagering in the USA. They offer great value on their odds and wide-ranging markets. Available on iOS and Android.
New York’s Online Sports Betting Revolution: A Timeline of Events
New York legalized online sports betting on April 19, 2021, when Governor Andrew Cuomo signed a budget bill that included a provision for mobile betting. The first nine sportsbooks went live on January 8, 2022.
Here is a brief history of online sports betting in New York:
- 2013: New York passed a law that legalized sports betting at its commercial casinos. However, the law did not allow for mobile betting.
- 2019: The first in-person sportsbooks opened in New York at the Rivers Casino & Resort in Schenectady and the Tioga Downs Casino in Nichols.
- 2021: Governor Cuomo signed a budget bill that included a provision for mobile sports betting. The bill also authorized the New York State Gaming Commission (NYSGC) to issue up to 10 licenses for mobile sportsbooks.
- 2022: The NYSGC began accepting applications for mobile sportsbook licenses in April 2022. The first nine sportsbooks went live on January 8, 2022.
Here are some milestones and facts about online sports betting in New York:
- In January 2022, New York generated $1.6 billion in sports betting handle in its first 30 days. This was the most sports betting handle generated by any state in its first 30 days of legal online sports betting.
- In March 2022, New York surpassed $3 billion in sports betting handle. This was the fastest any state had reached \$3 billion in sports betting handle.
- As of August 2023, New York has generated over $8 billion in sports betting handle. This makes New York the third-largest sports betting market in the United States.
- New York has also generated over $500 million in tax revenue from sports betting. This tax revenue is being used to fund education, youth sports, and other programs.
What about online casinos?
Online casinos are not yet legal in New York. However, there is a bill that has been introduced in the state legislature that would legalize online casinos and online poker. The bill, S4856, was introduced by Senator Joe Addabbo in February 2023. The bill would allow for up to 10 licenses for online casinos and 5 licenses for online poker rooms. The bill would also set a tax rate of 30.5% on online casino and poker revenue.
The bill has been met with some opposition from groups that are concerned about the potential for problem gambling. However, the bill has also been met with support from the gaming industry and from some lawmakers. It is still too early to say whether the bill will pass, but it is a step in the right direction for online casino legalization in New York.
If the bill is passed, online casinos could be available in New York as early as 2024. However, it is also possible that it could take longer for the state to implement the law and for operators to get licensed.
Land-based Sportsbooks in New York
Physical sportsbooks are key for wagering in New York, allowing residents to utilize sportsbooks online and in-person.
- Rivers Casino Sportsbook NY – Has several betting windows and kiosks to place sports wagers along with large screen TVs to witness all the action.
- Turning Stone Resort Casino – Provides a picturesque setting to bet on a variety of sports in their lounge, using Caesars Sportsbook offers extensive markets and good odds.
NY Professional Teams and 2023 NY Sports Betting Events
New York has a lot of professional teams. The Jets, Giants, and Buffalo Bills in the NFL. The Mets and the Yankees from the MLB. The Knicks and the Brooklyn Nets from the NBA. The Sabres, Islanders, and Rangers from the NHL, and the Red Bulls and City FC from the MLS. Here are some of the professional sports leagues to bet on in New York:
- Football: NFL, CFL, and NCAA
- Basketball: NBA, WNBA and NCAA
- Horse Racing: American Triple Crown
- MMA: UFC
- Baseball: MLB
- Racing: NASCAR, Formula One, and more.
- Golf: The PGA Tour, LPGA Tour plus several international tours
- Tennis: ATP, WTA
- Soccer: MLS